Steps To Take After A Flood In Your Apartment Complex
If your apartment complex experiences a flood, the damage from that flooding can have serious consequences. It can make affected units impossible to live in and possibly ruin the personal property of your residents permanently. Even the smallest of floods can have long-lasting consequences.
Here are some important steps for you to take if your apartment complex floods:
- Safety should always be the very first consideration in any emergency situation. Even the most minor flooding event can create unsafe conditions, such as washing out walkways or causing potholes in the parking lot, so you will want to inspect your grounds thoroughly to identify any unsafe situations that have become an issue, and then take the necessary steps to restrict people from going near them. Log these observations by taking pictures and videos, as well.
- Visit each and every affected unit to ascertain what damage has been experienced, and pay special attention to the presence of mold. Wet surfaces and damp environments are the perfect conditions for mold, and a colony can further damage the apartment and create substantial health hazards.
- You will be responsible for the repair of the damage, but be aware of your tenants’ rights, as well. Always do the right thing, keeping in mind that this is actually great advertising. Some of your residents may be under the impression that the owner is liable for the replacement of personal property in every case, so make sure you know the laws. The principles that support basic tenants’ rights are the same throughout the U.S., while each state will vary in detail. You or your residents can consult the local housing authority or a tenants’ rights organization for clarification if needed.
- If a resident has to leave their unit due to severe water damage, they may not be required to pay rent for that particular month, nor until their apartment is completely repaired, depending on state law. If the apartment is totally destroyed, they may be able to lawfully request to cancel their lease.
- After you have ensured that the safety of all involved is secured and ascertained which repairs need to be made, call in a professional repair company with the expertise and equipment needed to get you back to normal as soon as possible. You are required by law to get these repairs completed in a timely manner, ensuring that the units are fit to live in, so make sure you use a company that has a great reputation for thorough and timely completion of all projects.
Here at SERVPRO of South and North West Grand Rapids, we have the experience and skill you need to get your apartment complex back to pre-flood condition as soon as possible. Call us for help if you experience flooding in your home, business, or apartment complex.