What Is The Proper Way To Use A Fire Extinguisher?
You may never have used a fire extinguisher before, and it can be a little daunting even to consider. When it comes to fire safety, it’s better to be safe than sorry, however! The time to learn how to handle a fire extinguisher is when there is no emergency, giving you time to think about what you are doing and practice the steps. Being proactive by learning this critical skill in advance of a fire emergency is one smart way to guard the safety of your Byron Center home or business.
Below you will find the steps to follow for the proper use of a fire extinguisher, as well as some further information to help you:
What Are The Correct Steps To Take When Using My Fire Extinguisher To Protect My Byron Center Property?
The P.A.S.S. method is the most highly recommended method to use when handling a fire extinguisher:
- Pull the pin on the extinguisher.
- Aim the hose nozzle low toward the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent.
- Sweep the nozzle from side to side at the base of the flames until extinguished.
What More Do I Need To Know About Handling A Fire At My Byron Center Property?
Knowing how to operate the extinguisher is not all you need to understand. Responders to fire also should be able to adhere to the following protocol:
- Sound the fire alarm or call the fire department immediately.
- Before approaching the fire, determine an evacuation route away from flames, excessive heat, and smoke, and keep this evacuation route from being blocked.
- Use the P.A.S.S. technique for discharging an extinguisher and back away from the area if the fire flares up again.
- If the extinguisher is empty and the fire is not out, evacuate immediately.
- If the fire grows beyond what you can handle safely, evacuate immediately.
According to O.S.H.A., the most common emergency small businesses need to plan for is fire. O.S.H.A. requires employers to thoroughly train workers on an annual basis at minimum how to use an extinguisher properly and assess a situation accurately to determine when evacuation is the safest course of action.
You can find more fire extinguisher information here.
When it comes to damage from fire, water, or any other disaster of any size SERVPRO of South and Northwest Grand Rapids is here to help! In addition to fire damage, we handle many other kinds of issues, such as mold remediation and commercial cleaning.
We can get your home or business Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned!
This franchise is Independently Owned and Operated.