Prepare Your Home Before Heading Out of Town
Many people are heading out of town soon for spring break or vacation. Here are a few helpful tips we recommend you do before you leave.
1. Leave a ‘lived in’ home. Set timers on lamps and place a hold on packages.
2. Lock more than just the doors. Don't forget to lock all garage entry doors, back doors, and windows. Also, if you have any pet doors, cover them from the inside.
3. Unplug all of your appliances. Mixers, coffee makers, other daily use countertop items. It's amazing how things can short out with minimal interference.
4. Inform your most trusted neighbors. Let them know how long you’ll be away and ask them to check the house and maybe pull your mail.
5. Contact the alarm company and let them know that you'll be gone. Activity from certain dates will be treated as legitimate.
6. Remove outdoor spare or hidden keys.
7. Turn off your water. Shutting the water off, whether it’s the main line, under the toilet or the kitchen sink, will mitigate water damage loss should disaster strike.
If you do come home after a spring break and find a problem, our number is 616-662-9700. SERVPRO of South and Northwest Grand Rapids is locally owned and operated, and we are always glad to take care of you when the unexpected happens.
Have a great vacation and stay safe!