What To Do If You Experience Winter Storm Damage To Your Comstock Park Home?
Cold weather poses a severe challenge to Comstock Park property owners. Ice, snow, and sleet can wreak havoc on your roof, siding, driveways, and walkways, while the frequent freeze and thaw cycles can lead to frozen pipes, leaks, and other emergencies. Winter storm damage is nothing to treat lightly, and quick action in dealing with the damage is essential to protecting your home and loved ones.
At SERVPRO, we have helped many Comstock Park area homeowners deal with disasters related to winter storms. Years of managing storm restoration projects have shown us that when property owners plan and know how to handle winter storm damage quickly, it will lessen the effects of the disaster.
Whether you’re facing winter storm damage right now or you want to be ready for the worst, the following steps will help you keep disasters to a minimum and get your property back to normal.
What Are Some Common Winter Storm-Related Issues You Need To Plan For?
Comstock Park residents know that it’s always possible they may get snowed in or deal with icy, slippery surfaces, but there are many other potential emergencies caused by winter storms to think about, such as:
- Flooding. Cold snaps and freezes can damage pipes and cause them to burst, leaving you with water damage and flooded areas in your home that need emergency restoration.
- Fire. Improperly cleaned chimneys or space heaters plugged into overloaded outlets or left too near flammable objects can cause fires during a winter storm.
- Leaking Roof. Ice dams that block drainage pipes, heavy snow and ice breaking through shingles, hail, and high winds from winter storms can all be harsh on your roof, leaving your Comstock Park property exposed to moisture damage.
What Are Some Winter Storm Damage Best Practices For My Comstock Park Location?
Once a winter storm occurs, you can be left facing damages that need fixing right away; if you don’t know what to do next, the situation can feel overwhelming. To help you get quick and effective storm damage restoration for your property, call SERVPRO right away at (616) 662 9700!
While you wait for the professionals to arrive:
- Remain Calm. It will be best if you make good decisions quickly, so slow down, take a deep breath, and make careful assessments of what you’re facing.
- Safety First. When your property has suffered damage, it may put the people on the premises at risk. So you will want to ensure that family and loved ones are safe. Make sure you know where everyone is and move them out of unsafe locations. If the area is severely damaged, you may need to arrange for a temporary place for people to stay while the restoration is completed.
- Power And Water. Winter storms can often lead to leaks or floods from damaged roofs or burst pipes. Keeping the water running may worsen flooding while leaving electricity on could cause a fire. Shut off the flow to damaged areas, and call your utility companies if you need their assistance.
- Insurance. Make detailed notes and take photos of anything affected by the storm damage; this might include everything from furniture and business equipment to personal documents, valuables, and more. This step is essential for the insurance claim process. Once the storm is over and any immediate danger is gone, it’s time to reach out to your insurance company. Call your agent to get the process of filing a claim started.
Knowing what to do is essential to handling winter storm damage, and other emergency restoration needs swiftly and smoothly for your property. SERVPRO of South and Northwest Grand Rapids is here to help you should the worst happen. We will work with your insurance claims adjuster, too.
We offer many other services for your Comstock Park home in addition to storm damage, such as water damage restoration, fire and smoke damage restoration, mold remediation, and much more! Contact us for a free consultation.
This franchise is independently owned and operated.