Be prepared for Natural Disasters
Don’t wait to prepare!! Emergencies can happen unexpectedly in communities just like yours, to people just like you. Tornado outbreaks, river floods, flash floods, historic earthquakes, and even water main breaks and power outages in U.S. cities affecting millions of people for days at a time.
Now is the time to think about the basics, things you will need in advance of an emergency; how you will communicate, what supplies you will need to keep in your home, car or office. Use the list provided here to build an emergency supply kit to ensure your family is equipped and ready for any type of disaster.
The more you know about what to do in an emergency, the more confident and secure you will feel in your abilities to manage through a disaster.
Preparation is the key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but now, you can plan for it.
Build An Emergency Supply Kit:
- Water, gallon per person per day
- Food, non-perishable 3-day supply
- Manual can opener
- Battery operated radio and extra batteries
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities, if necessary
- Dust masks or bandanas
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags and duct tape
- Local maps
- Hygiene items
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in waterproof container
- Important documents such as:
- Copies of insurance
- Policies, identification and
- Bank account information
Contact SERVPRO® Southwest Grand Rapids Professionals for more information and tools to help you be “Ready for whatever happens.”